Chinese Buffet: All You Kan Eat
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Raining pitchforks...
As Victor Hugo likes to say in "Les Miserables" (the only novel I wish to quote at the moment), "It is raining pitchforks." That describes exactly what it has been like the last five days here. Pitchforks of water being hurled to the ground. I like this picture better than "It is raining cats and dogs," but Andy likes the latter better, I'm afraid. Regardless of pithy statements however, the rain has been dreary, and every time the sun has come out for a brief period of time, we have had only to look further ahead and see the next storm clouds marching our way.
I must be thankful for the rain in one sense though. It has kept me sitting at the computer writing. I always write better in the rain. The moodiness of a hearty storm always washes away my natural instinct toward constant movement and flightiness, my plans for doing this and that. I am left with nothing but stillness and contemplation...so I sit and write. And how therapeutic it is too! Just like with music, I experience God in a different way when I sit down and...create.
I have been very thankful for this opportunity to write over the last few weeks. Of course, I joke of my unemployment (still looking!) and how many times over I have cleaned the house...but I could never have wished for anything better than some time to do the things that I have prayed and longed to do for years and years: take more time studying God's Word, care for and spend time with Andy, and write. I have been able to do all these things in abundance in the last few weeks (not to mention, enjoy the near 1500 pages of "Les Mis").
The chance to write more has been especially enjoyable, just because I was not sure I could envision it happening. I knew I would enjoy the chance to study God's Word in greater depth, especially when school was over...and I knew I was going to marry Andy. But I didn't know if writing was something that would take up a large part of my life...or if it was just something I would do on the side. But I have been shocked and amazed to have reached the 225th page of my book. Definitely never thought that was going to happen! Silly me, right? I prayed for it to happen, and then I was surprised when it did. When will I ever learn...
Andy has been improving in health, although he still sleeps just as much :). We have enjoyed lots of things this week, namely, attending a Bible study, making homemade granola, and watching "Nanny McPhee" (an excellent movie, a nice change from "Mary Poppins"). I opened up an account at the local public library and decorated for fall. I am afraid the only thing different about Andy's week was that he finally got to make good use of the raincoat he got for Christmas last year. He has an exciting time coming up next week though: he gets to make an impromptu speech. The teacher told them the best way to prepare for this was to know everything about every subject. We're working on that. The good thing is, all the students get videos of their speeches, so they can know how to improve. I will make it my personal obligation to post it on this blog.
Well, I had better sign off before I get myself in any more trouble :).
I must be thankful for the rain in one sense though. It has kept me sitting at the computer writing. I always write better in the rain. The moodiness of a hearty storm always washes away my natural instinct toward constant movement and flightiness, my plans for doing this and that. I am left with nothing but stillness and contemplation...so I sit and write. And how therapeutic it is too! Just like with music, I experience God in a different way when I sit down and...create.
I have been very thankful for this opportunity to write over the last few weeks. Of course, I joke of my unemployment (still looking!) and how many times over I have cleaned the house...but I could never have wished for anything better than some time to do the things that I have prayed and longed to do for years and years: take more time studying God's Word, care for and spend time with Andy, and write. I have been able to do all these things in abundance in the last few weeks (not to mention, enjoy the near 1500 pages of "Les Mis").
The chance to write more has been especially enjoyable, just because I was not sure I could envision it happening. I knew I would enjoy the chance to study God's Word in greater depth, especially when school was over...and I knew I was going to marry Andy. But I didn't know if writing was something that would take up a large part of my life...or if it was just something I would do on the side. But I have been shocked and amazed to have reached the 225th page of my book. Definitely never thought that was going to happen! Silly me, right? I prayed for it to happen, and then I was surprised when it did. When will I ever learn...
Andy has been improving in health, although he still sleeps just as much :). We have enjoyed lots of things this week, namely, attending a Bible study, making homemade granola, and watching "Nanny McPhee" (an excellent movie, a nice change from "Mary Poppins"). I opened up an account at the local public library and decorated for fall. I am afraid the only thing different about Andy's week was that he finally got to make good use of the raincoat he got for Christmas last year. He has an exciting time coming up next week though: he gets to make an impromptu speech. The teacher told them the best way to prepare for this was to know everything about every subject. We're working on that. The good thing is, all the students get videos of their speeches, so they can know how to improve. I will make it my personal obligation to post it on this blog.
Well, I had better sign off before I get myself in any more trouble :).
posted by M. J. at 8:57 PM
1 Comments:
That is so great that you are writing! Hurrah for you! And..this is so weird. Stuart and I made homemade granola this past week too! What a strange coincidence! We have been replacing store bought cereal with it because it is more healthy, and it is something fun we can do as a couple as well!
Post a Comment
<< Home